Saturday, May 22, 2010

How do i use point slope and standard form? : equations of lines?

to use point slope all you need is to know is the point and the slope of the line. the formula is.. y-y1=m(x-x1). please give me an example of using that formula. NEXT , standard form. i think the equation is ay+by=c (correct me if im wrong) give me an example. if you can and show me the steps to solve for both. thanks alot. forget my math text bookk today and fell asleep in class.

How do i use point slope and standard form? : equations of lines?
You can use point slope form to find the formula of a line. For example, the question asks you to find an equation of a line that has a slope of 2 and passes through the point (2,3)


This is how you do it:


y-y1=m(x-x1)


y-3=2(x-2)


y-3=2x-4


y=2x-4+3


y=2x-1


Standard form looks like this:


0=Ax+By+C, where A can't be negative.


The standard form of the equation y=2x-1 would be 0=2x-y-1


No comments:

Post a Comment